CharlotteTrini.com is the first website in Charlotte to produce an online venue for Caribbean people in Charlotte and surrounding. Founded July 2008, it is the one place that you can come to to get information on everything Caribbean in Charlotte and surrounding areas.

Friday, November 7, 2008

Calypsonian Crazy Predicted Obama's Victory!!!

Edwin Ayoung

“In Time To Come

America Will Have a Black President.

“I am happy I live to see history in the making.”

— CalypsoniaN EDWIN ‘Crazy’ Ayoung

MICHELLE LOUBON

In 2000, Edwin Ayoung dared to make such a bold prediction in the classic In Time To Come. In 2008, he lived to see it fait accompli.

As he monitored Tuesday night’s election coverage he was ecstatic that Barack Obama was elected America’s first African American president.

Obama clinched arguably the most prestigious job in the world from Republican John Mc Cain, 73. He was also the first Democrat to receive more than 50 per cent of the popular vote since Jimmy Carter in 1976.

In his typical, ebullient style, Ayoung said: “Wow! Big licks!

“I backing Obama. I want him to win by a landslide. The man will be great.”

Breaking a bottle of red wine, Ayoung gushed, “I am just so happy for Obama. When I sang that song people said I was mad. People in the calypso fraternity said, ‘He really mad. Now, we know he crazy for sure.’ Everybody say ‘I was singing stupidness.’”

Ayoung, who pioneered soca parang, said he had received the same response from his fraternity when he sang the first soca parang—“Parang Soca” in 1976.

“They say I singing stupidness. They pelt the tapes at me.”

Still, he persevered; receiving nightly encores at the Revue Tent, Wrightson Road, Port-of-Spain, for In Time To Come.

The gem even took him to the Dimanche Gras finals in which he had placed sixth; while Shadow ruled the roost—with the rib-tickling What’s Wrong With Me.

Last laugh for Ayoung

Again for 2008, Ayoung, 64, had the last laugh on his critics, detractors and “doubting Thomases.”

He said: “I am happy I live to see history in the making. I may not live to see my other predictions. But I live to see this one. This is the big one, baby, as Sanford (Redd Foxx) would say.”

Ayoung said: “I remember Duke...my good friend... ‘boy, that will never happen now.’ People must be saying Crazy is ah obeah man. I is a Jesus man. I eh have no crystal ball. I just had foresight. You, see, I eh so crazy after all.”

Ayoung, who had just returned from a performance in Antigua, said he felt, if they had been given the chance the entire Caribbean would have voted for Obama.

Ayoung said Obama’s victory has enabled America to regain the respect of the international community, particularly for its bungled war against Iraq.

“This is great for America. This is fantastic for black people all over the world.”



And if you don't believe the article, check out this you-tube video. (Listen for it around 1:04)


No comments:

Sign My Guestbook

 
CharlotteTrini © 2007 Template feito por Templates para Você